– … Please, continue relating your dream…
– I wandered through vast ruins…along wrecked bridges …feeling remarkably at ease.
– How did you find the window in this windowless world?
– When a cool breeze wafted inside, I suddenly saw it. It showed a landscape, with in the distance a city. There was complete tranquillity and harmony there, like in a painting by Piero della Francesca…
I stood there for some considerable time and I became increasingly saddened, because I discovered that I was looking at something that had vanished forever.
– But how did you manage to take the window?
– I wanted to touch it… as a result, I immediately fell down.
The gap left in the wall closed by itself…
I picked it up and continued on my way, meeting people who spoke to me saying that I should leave the Carceri. I was taken to a gateway. No one looked at, or said anything about, the window…
In the square where I found myself, there was an intense, chaotic commotion. The window still reflected something of the vast space I had left. The exterior showed traces of the wall in which it had been mounted.
I looked through it and saw everyday life…